Connect with us

Headline

Can Tinubu’s Ministers Deliver Nigeria?

Published

on

By Eric Elezuo

On Monday, August 21, 2023, President Bola Tinubu will swear in 45 men and women, who by fait accompli, have been screened and cleared by the Department of State Services (DSS) and the Godswill Akpabio-led Senate. The soon-to-be ministers will be mandated with the task of bringing to fruition Tinubu’s plans of renewing the hopes of Nigerians, towards bringing them out of the eight years quagmire of past president Muhammadu Buhari, which has inadvertently continued three months into the new administration.

But analysts, stakeholders and observers in the Nigerian political system have argued on the potential of the nominated ministers and the real intentions behind their selection to work in with the Nigerian leader.

A cross section of Nigerians, who had earlier expressed hope at the coming of the ministers, many weeks after inauguration, have expressed disappointment however, noting there was nothing spectacular among the nominees, and wondered why it took so long to recycle the same individuals already known to the public. They argued that it was a list of known friends and loyalists of the president, adding that the president is using sensitive positions for nation building to say thank you and massage the ego of loyalists, who played one role or another to ensure the his emergence at the Presidential polls.

In Tinubu’s list are nine immediate past governors including former governor of Rivers State, a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), who fell out with his party, and did all he could to scrape Rivers State for Tinubu; a victory that most Nigerians have dismissed as dubious. But Wike has been paid for his efforts, first, as a ministerial nominee, and now as a the substantive Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

Wike is seen as a voracious politician, who can hold his own in whatever circumstance either by omission or commission; legitimate or otherwise. It is therefore, on this background that his appointment into ministerial position is necessary, and more important to be seconded to Abuja, where Tinubu failed to obtain 25 percent vote, which many believe is mandatory for anyone else to be declared President. The matter is however, subjudice asnit is being contested in the court of law presently.

Stakeholders have not minced words in claiming that Wike’s allocation of Abuja as a ministerial duty is Tinubu’s way of consolidation should there be a rerun as regards his inability to obtain 25 percent in the previous election.

“It is not hard to imagine that Tinubu needed a strong and voracious politician like Wike in Abuja to consolidate his chances should the court nullify his election and order a rerun.

“The same situation goes for the recycling of old politicians in sensitive ministeries. The reasons are not farfetched; the president needs them to achieve an opportunity to legitimize his government through the polls if the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal should void the 2023 presidential election. So, this list of ministers are not in anyway programmed to resuscitate that ailing economy, but to be on ground for the hatchet job in case a rerun I’d needed. It is not out of place therefore, to say that Tinubu is already anticipating a discrediting of his government another a rerun,” a stakeholder, who craved anonymity told The Boss.

There’s also the immediate past governor of Kebbi State, Alhaji Atiku Bagudu, who is said to be the handyman of one of Nigeria’s most notorious leader, late General Sani Abacha while he looted the country. On discovery, Bagudu demanded and was paid a whopping $110 million (N33.6 billion) for helping Abacha to loot the nation. Today, Bagudu is saddled with a sensitive position as the Minister of Budget and Economic Planning. No one remembered the part he played in the Nigerian economic woes other than he is a member of the APC and an allied of Tinubu.

According to Nicolas Ibekwe in a 2019 write up, “Court documents revealed that Mr Bagudu was the gas that powered Mr Abacha’s extensive money laundering operations.

“Working with some members of his own family, top members of the regime and Mohammed, Mr Abacha’s eldest son, prosecutors claimed the governor used an intricate network of phoney companies to siphon several millions of dollars from government treasury into offshore bank accounts operated by himself and the Abachas.

“The money-laundering operations Mr Bagudu ran on behalf of Mr Abacha are well-documented in suits filed in the United States and the Bailiwick of Jersey, a British Crown dependency in the Channel Islands.

“But what many Nigerians may not know was that Mr Bagudu, who now enjoy immunity from prosecution by virtue of being a governor, was once arrested for his role in the Abacha money laundering enterprise and spent six months in a US federal detention.”

Observers have asked how would men, who are only answering the call of political exigencies, deliver Nigeria from its economic stranglehold or help Tinubu translate his promise of renewed hope to reality having already taking decisions in the last three months that have further plunged Nigerians and the economy into abyss of hardship and suffering.

There’s also the former governor of Zamfara, Bello Matawalle, who supervised the worst form of insecurity and poverty in his state during his four years stewardship as governor manning the defence ministry though in deputy position. Stakeholders have asked what is he bringing to the table other than membership of the ruling party.

Other former governors, who made the ministerial appointment are Simon Lalong of Plateau State, Abubakar Badaru of Jigawa State, Dave Umahi of Ebonyi State, who was until his appointment, the senator representing Ebonyi central district, Gboyega Oyetola of Osun State, and Ibrahim Gaidam of Yobe State. The former governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, narrowly missed out, owing to some security reports that proved very difficult to overlook.

A majority of the general public are of the opinion that the list consists of campaign managers awaiting a possible rerun and/or consolidate a reelection come 2027.

There are the appointees representing Cross River State and Delta State, Betta Edu and Festus Keyamo, respectively, who were said to practically lobbied for the positions. What can one do when he has to beg to get a political position. Keyamo, on his part, who was a minister of state in Labour and Productivity ministry for eight years is yet to pinpoint a major achievement of his ministry. His Special Public Works Programme which proposed to engage 774,000 Nigerians, and gulped N52 billion, is still shrouded in mystery  and a subject of battle between him and the National Assembly till date. Today, he has been reappointed.

The full list of the ministers and their designated positions are

  1. Minister Of Communications, Innovation And Digital Economy: Bosun Tijani
  2. Minister Of State, Environment And Ecological Management: Ishak Salako
  3. Minister Of Finance And Coordinating Minister Of The Economy: Wale Edun
  4. Minister Of Marine And Blue Economy: Bunmi Tunji-Ojo
  5. Minister Of Power: Adebayo Adelabu
  6. Minister Of State, Health And Social Welfare: Tunji Alausa
  7. Minister Of Solid Minerals Development: Dele Alake
  8. Minister Of Tourism: Lola Ade-John
  9. Minister Of Transportation: Adegboyega Oyetola
  10. Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Doris Anite
  11. Minister of Innovation Science and Technology, Uche Nnaji
  12. Minister of State, Labour and Employment, Nkiruka Onyejeocha
  13. Minister of Women Affairs, Uju Kennedy
  14. Minister of Works, David Umahi
  15. Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo
  16. Minister of Youth, Abubakar Momoh
  17. Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Betta Edu
  18. Minister of State, Gas Resources, Ekperikpe Ekpo
  19. Minister of State, Petroleum Resources, Heineken Lokpobiri
  20. Minister of Sports Development, John Enoh
  21. Minister of Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike
  22. Minister of State, Housing and Urban Development – Abdullahi Gwarzo
  23. Minister of Budget and Economic Planning- Atiku Bagudu
  24. Minister of State, FCT- Mariga Mahmoud
  25. Minister of State, Water Resources and Sanitation- Bello Goronyo
  26. Minister of Agriculture- Abubakar Kyari
  27. Minister of Education- Tahir Mamman
  28. Minister of Police Affairs- Ibrahim Geidam
  29. Minister of Foreign Affairs – Yusuf Tuggar
  30. Minister of Interior- Saidu Alkali
  31. Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare- Ali Pate
  32. Minister of State, Steel and Development- Maigari Ahmadu
  33. Minister of Steel and Development- Shuaibu Audu
  34. Minister of Information and National Orientation- Muhammed Idris
  35. Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice- Lateef Fagbemi
  36. Minister of Labour and Employment- Simon Lalong
  37. Minister of State, Police Affairs, Inman Suleiman
  38. Minister of Special Duties- Zephaniah Jisalo
  39. Minister of Water Resources and Sanitation- Joseph Utsev
  40. Minister of State, Agriculture and Food Security- Aliyu Abdullahi
  41. Minister of Arts, Culture and Creative Economy- Hannatu Musawa
  42. Minister of Defence- Muhammed Badaru
  43. Minister of State for Defence- Bello Matawalle
  44. Minister of State, Education- Tanko Sununu
  45. Minister of Housing and Urban Development- Ahmed Dangiwa

While a cross section of Nigerians have criticized the list in its entirety as an assemblage of political stalwarts in readiness for a political rerun of the 2023 presidential or in readiness for reelection in 2027. Whichever way, it is obvious that this set of ministers may have little or no impact on the economy and wellbeing of the nation and its people.

“The body language is already so negative; what to expect is therefore not farfetched,” an analyst confided.

However, one thing is certain; by Monday, the administration of Tinubu will assume a sort of shape notwithstanding. Nigerians will therefore, have to wait to see if the shape will be monstrous or angelic.

Can Tinubu’s ministers deliver Nigeria? Time will tell.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headline

2027: Obi Warns Against Rigging, Urges Voters to Be Vigilant

Published

on

By

A former Governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi, has issued a stern warning to election officials and stakeholders, urging Nigerians to ensure that every vote counts in the 2027 general election.

Obi stressed that anyone who attempts to manipulate or obstruct the counting of votes will be held accountable for undermining the country’s democracy.

“Unlike in the past, in 2027 our votes MUST count, and all those who are there not to count the votes will be counted among those destroying Nigeria,” he wrote on X on Monday, February 16, 2026.

Obi, who has declared that he will contest the 2027 presidential election, advised voters to stay at polling units after casting their ballots to observe the counting and transmission of results, emphasising that preventing the proper tallying of votes would attract legal consequences.

The former Labour Party presidential candidate said: “I encourage everyone to remain at the polling units after voting to count and witness the counting and transmission of results. Those who refuse to allow the votes count will be made to count the full weight of the law against rigging.

“Let me reiterate: if you do not count our votes, we will count you among those who destroy our democracy, thereby destroying our future, and you must answer to the law.”

Continue Reading

Headline

APC National Secretary Basiru Demands Wike’s Resignation As FCT Minister

Published

on

By

The National Secretary of All Progressives Congress (APC), Senator Ajibola Basiru, has called on the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, to resign from President Bola Tinubu’s cabinet, accusing him of undue interference in the ruling party’s internal affairs.

Basiru’s demand followed Wike’s warning earlier on Monday, in which the former Rivers State governor cautioned the APC scribe to “leave Rivers State alone” and refrain from meddling in its politics. Wike, while addressing supporters during a thank-you visit to Oyigbo Local Government Area of Rivers State, described Rivers as a “no-go area,” warning that those who interfere “may burn their hands.”

But, responding to the FCT Minister’s warning in a statement issued from Osogbo, Osun State, Senator Basiru fired back, describing Wike’s remarks as a “tirade” and “uncouth.”

“My attention has been drawn to the tirade of the Minister of the FCT against my person and my office as National Secretary of the APC,” Basiru said. “It is shocking that such an innocuous statement could elicit such uncouth responses from no less than a member of the Federal Executive Council.”

The APC National Secretary defended his earlier remarks, insisting he merely reaffirmed that governors, regardless of political differences, deserve respect as leaders of the party in their respective states.

“For the avoidance of doubt, our records indicate that Minister Nyesom Wike is not a member of our party, the APC. He therefore lacks the locus to dabble into the affairs of our party,” he declared.

“As National Secretary of the APC, I am imbued with the responsibility to protect the interests of the party and all its members. My activities cannot be confined to my home state, Osun State.”

Basiru also dismissed Wike’s allegation that he and other APC leaders were scrambling for a N600 billion “largesse” in Rivers State’s coffers, describing it as “cheap blackmail.”

“My background and track record are of unquestionable integrity,” Basiru stated. “I challenge him to prove his allegations or we may meet in court.”

The APC chieftain further warned Wike against issuing threats, saying he would not be intimidated.

“Wike is not God and may be overplaying his political card,” Basiru cautioned. “My faith is in God, and I will not succumb to cheap threats such as the one from him.”

He maintained that Wike’s support for President Tinubu does not make him an APC member.

“Millions of non-APC Nigerians also support the President, and Wike’s case is no different,” Basiru said. “He cannot bring the spirit of the PDP into the APC or destabilize our structures in Rivers State.”

Concluding his statement, Basiru said Wike must make a choice between serving as a non-party technocrat or interfering in APC matters.

“He cannot be in the Federal Executive Council of an APC government and be causing confusion within our party. The honourable thing to do is to resign his appointment as Minister,” he declared.

Continue Reading

Headline

Alleged N432bn Fraud: El-Rufai Spends Monday Night in EFCC Custody

Published

on

By

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, spent Monday night in the custody of the EFCC following hours of interrogation over alleged financial misappropriation amounting to N432 billion.

El-Rufai arrived at the EFCC headquarters in Jabi, Abuja, around 11:00 a.m. on Monday, February 16, 2026, in response to an invitation reportedly issued in December.

Although he presented himself voluntarily, sources within the anti-graft agency disclosed late Monday that he would remain in custody until investigators reached what they described as “advanced stages” of their questioning.

The probe is said to stem from a 2024 report by the Kaduna State House of Assembly, which accused El-Rufai’s administration between 2015 and 2023 of diverting public funds through multiple state channels.

A senior EFCC official confirmed that investigators are reviewing contracts and financial transactions executed during his eight-year tenure.

Tension flared at the EFCC premises as hundreds of supporters and critics gathered shortly after news of his appearance broke.

Supporters accused the Federal Government of political persecution, chanting solidarity slogans, while a group identified as the Mega National Movement for Good Governance demanded accountability, insisting that no public official is above the law.

Security operatives deployed teargas to disperse the crowd after clashes reportedly broke out between the opposing groups.

In a related development, the Department of State Services (DSS) filed a three-count charge against El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The charges, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, reportedly concern the alleged unlawful interception of telephone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The filing followed a recent interview in which the former governor claimed he had listened to conversations in which Ribadu allegedly directed security operatives to arrest him upon his return from Egypt last week.

El-Rufai’s legal team, led by Ubong Akpan, has described the investigations as arbitrary and a violation of his constitutional rights.

Meanwhile, indications emerged that the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC) has also scheduled him for questioning on Wednesday, February 18.

As of Tuesday morning, it remained unclear whether the EFCC would seek a court order to extend his detention or proceed with formal charges. Several of his former aides are reportedly already in custody as investigations continue.

Continue Reading

Trending