Connect with us

Featured

Wike Orders Arrest of Owner of Abuja Collapsed Building

Published

on

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered the immediate identification and arrest of the owner of a two-storey building which collapsed in Abuja on Wednesday night.

The building had at least 39 residents, with two certified dead, and 37 rescued and taken to various hospitals.

The building, located at Lagos Crescent, Garki Village in the Garki District of the nation’s capital, was one of the first storey buildings in the area.

While it caved it caved in around 11pm on Wednesday amid heavy downpour, rescue operations were initially very slow over the night as there was no immediate access to an excavator and rescue efforts were purely manual.

Speaking at the scene of the incident, Wike who noted that original residents of the area were designated for resettlement, however wondered why foe years, the FCT Administration could not carry out such resettlement.

While he applauded the rescue efforts, Wike said; “It is unfortunate that we woke this morning to the very disturbing news of this building collapse. It is not what we contemplated. Let me thank the agencies particularly NEMA and FEMA that have supported us to rescue not less than 37 lives. It is unfortunate that we lost two lives. I will appeal to the Permanent Secretary to make sure that funds are raised to pay the hospital bills of those who were rescued so that we do not lose any more person, and this should be done immediately.

“Secondly, these are the things we have been saying, nobody knows whose turn it will be, therefore when government says it will take actions in areas we believe there are illegal developments or buildings that do not comply with the standard codes, it is not as if anybody has any personal vendetta but for me it is for us to do the right thing.

“I don’t know why it has taken long that the FCTA has not resettled them and so we will take immediate action to see that the indigenes of these place are resettled and then government has to plan out this place.

“When government says take building plan, it is not to suffer anybody but to make sure that everyone is protected. Cities are planned to forestall this kind of occurrences. Imagine buildings without approval. I will ask that we must identify and arrest the owner of this property. It is very important.

“Government will, of course, take over this area and make sure no further development is carried out here. I want all the stakeholders here to please work with government in the interest of everybody. No one has come here to say I like A, I don’t like B. I know sometimes government’s decisions may not be too comfortable with the people, but in the long run, it is in the interest of the people. Now we are all gathered here and none of us is happy we are here. These are the things we are trying to forestall. Again I sympathize with those who lost dear lives, while government will pick up the bills of all those in the hospital. We will also support the rescue efforts and ensure that they get to the last level and rescue everyone still trapped in the rubble”.

On his part, Director General of FCT Emergency Management Agency FEMA, Dr Abbas Idriss said 37 persons were rescued at the scene of the collapsed structure.

He said the victims were evacuated to various medical facilities in Abuja.

“Thirty Seven persons have so far been rescued and evacuated to hospital, others reportedly still trapped. Rescue team and others are on ground. Rescue operations on but slowly due to ongoing rain”. They are making frantic efforts at getting an excavator to remove people from the rubble”, he added.

The DG commended the efforts of all stakeholders working hard manually to rescue trapped persons, including members of the community.

It was gathered that the victims were taken to various hospitals including the National Hospital, Asokoro, Nyanya, and Garki District Hospitals, Alliance hospital and Zenith hospital.

Also speaking, Director, Department of Development Control, Mukhtar Galadima, explained that the building had no planning approval because the area is meant for resettlement.

“The building is located within the Garki indigenous settlement. The building had two suspended floors, one used for commercial activities while the other floors were used as residential accommodation. The building caved in yesterday (Wednesday) and 37 persons were rescued

“The status of the place is that it is not a planned area so the development had no planning approval. In fact, the area is meant for resettlement from here to Apo resettlement town.”

Vanguard

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Featured

Vote Buying, Low Turnout Mar FCT Polls – Yiaga Africa

Published

on

By

A civil society organization, Yiaga Africa, has released its preliminary report on the 2026 Federal Capital Area Council Elections held on Saturday.

The civic group reported that vote buying was witnessed at various polling units in the election.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) conducted elections for the position of chairman in the six area councils of the FCT, as well as for 62 councillorship seats.

Yiaga Africa said it deployed trained and duly accredited roving observers to systematically monitor the conduct of the elections.

It said that its observers were deployed by 7:30am and covered polling units across the sixty-two wards of the FCT, with their mandate including observing key aspects of the voting process, including opening procedures, accreditation, voting, and counting.

Yiaga Africa said it observed that the election was conducted in a largely peaceful atmosphere, adding that voters who presented themselves at polling units were afforded the opportunity to exercise their franchise without widespread disruption but added that notwithstanding this enabling environment, voter turnout was generally low, with most polling units recording poor turnout.

It said that logistical challenges adversely affected the timely commencement of polling, particularly in the Abuja Municipal Area Council, AMAC, where delays in the deployment of personnel and materials contributed to late opening in several locations.

It added that the relocation of certain polling units coupled with inadequate and untimely communication of these changes to voters generated confusion and may have resulted in voter disenfranchisement saying that such administrative lapses have significant implications for electoral access and public

On its preliminary findings, the election watch agency said: “Yiaga Africa observers reported a delayed commencement of polling in several polling units, primarily attributable to logistical inefficiencies and, in some instances, election security–related challenges.

“As of 9:00 a.m., set-up activities were still ongoing in the majority of polling units observed, indicating that essential preparatory procedures had not been completed within the timeframe prescribed by electoral guidelines.

“In the Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), particularly in Wuse and Gwarinpa wards, several polling units opened significantly behind schedule. Observers noted that polling officials were still arranging materials and organizing the voting environment as at 9:00 a.m., with accreditation and voting commencing only after 10:00 a.m. On average, across the sampled polling units observed, accreditation and voting began at approximately 10:00 a.m.

“Consistent with the Commission’s guidelines, critical election materials including the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) devices and the voter register—were deployed in the polling units observed.

“However, in Polling Unit 004, Wuse Ward, Zone 2 Primary School, the voter register was not initially available and was only produced after observers raised concerns and voters objected. In addition, essential voting materials were absent in certain locations. Voting cubicles were not observed in PU002 (Ward 09), PU006 (Ward 01), and PU012 (Ward 10) in Abaji Area Council. Furthermore, an ink pad required for the voting process was reportedly missing in one polling unit observed.

“Observers reported instances in which voters were reassigned to newly created polling units without prior or adequate notification. While Yiaga Africa acknowledges INEC’s efforts to notify affected voters via SMS, many of these messages were delivered on Election Day, with some received hours after polling had already commenced. The lack of timely and effective communication generated confusion at several polling locations, as numerous voters spent over an hour attempting to ascertain their designated polling units.

“In multiple instances, this administrative shortcoming contributed to congestion and
overcrowding, thereby undermining orderly queue management and potentially
discouraging voter participation.

“The observation further revealed significant disparities in voter distribution within the same polling locations. Such pronounced imbalances raise serious concerns regarding the coherence, and reliability of the Commission’s polling unit expansion and voter redistribution framework.

“Closing of Polling Unit before the official 2:30pm: Observers reported some polling
units closing the polling process before the official 2:30pm close time. While some
polling units experienced poor voter participation, the guideline requires the polling unit to remain open until 2:30pm or the last person on the queue votes.

“Security Deployment and Observer Access: Yiaga Africa observed heavy security deployment in certain locations, which, in some instances, impeded the movement of accredited election observers and restricted access to polling units. Observers further noted that the heightened security presence created barriers for citizens attempting to
access polling units to exercise their right to vote.

“Vote buying: The persistent menace of vote buying once again manifested during the election. Yiaga Africa observers documented incidents of vote buying at polling units, underscoring the continued vulnerability of the electoral process to monetary inducement.

“Despite prior assurances and directives issued by INEC to security agencies to identify and apprehend both vote buyers and sellers, these illicit practices reportedly continued in several locations.”

DailyPost

Continue Reading

Featured

I’m Proud of You, Osinbajo Tells Abia Gov Alex Otti

Published

on

By

Former Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has applauded Governor Alex Otti of Abia State for what he described as purposeful, people-centered leadership that is repositioning Abia State for sustainable growth and prosperity.

Speaking during his visit to the governor in his office on Wednesday, February 18, which coincided with Otti’s birthday, Osinbajo expressed deep appreciation for the governor’s hospitality and outstanding performance in office, noting that the true essence of public service is making meaningful differences on the lives of the people.

“I am extremely proud of the work you have done so far, you have lived up to expectations – not only to the people but also to your friends and associates. In the short time I have been here, I have seen tangible evidence of progress.” The former Vice President stated.

Prof. Osinbajo particularly commended Governor Otti’s bold social welfare reforms, including assenting into law, the Senior Citizens’ Law.

He described the initiatives as exemplary and deeply rooted in compassion and social responsibility, emphasising that the world’s most successful welfare systems are built on care for the vulnerable.

He also lauded the extensive road infrastructure renewal and improved connectivity across the State, describing the projects as visible symbols of purposeful and results-driven leadership. While reflecting on the demands of leadership, Prof. Osinbajo noted that while many aspire for public office, true distinction lies in delivery.

“Sometimes you wonder whether, after all the efforts to get into office, leaders are able to fulfill their promises. But in your case, you have done not just what you promised, but even more. You have made public service worthwhile,” Prof. Osinbajo added.

He prayed for renewed strength, wisdom, and divine favour for Governor Otti as he continues the work of transformation in Abia State.

In his response, Otti warmly welcomed Osinbajo, describing him as a brother, friend, and mentor, whose visit was deeply appreciated.

The governor clarified that the gathering was not a planned birthday celebration but just marking the day, noting that he rarely celebrate such occasions publicly, especially while serving in public office.

He expressed gratitude to well-wishers who came voluntarily and emphasised his preference for modesty and focus on service.

Otti thanked God for the progress recorded within 32 months in office, describing the administration’s achievements as modest but impactful.

He reiterated that governance must remain centered on the welfare and security of the people.

“Governance is about the people their welfare, their safety, and their peace of mind. If you enter office for any other reason, you miss the essence of leadership,” Governor Otti stated.

He recalled decisive actions taken in the administration’s first month, when some local governments were under the control of non-state actors. The governor said that firm intervention restored order and ensured that communities once inaccessible are now safe and open to residents.

Governor Otti also commended security agencies for their round-the-clock dedication, acknowledging their sacrifices in maintaining peace and stability across the state.

“We are grateful to the men and women who stay awake so that our people can sleep in peace,” Otti stated.

Earlier, the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Emmanuel Meribole, on behalf of the State Executive Council, extended warm birthday wishes to the governor, praying for continued strength and fruitful years ahead.

Continue Reading

Featured

Gunmen Invade Ondo Palace, Kill Monarch in Failed Abduction Attempt

Published

on

By

Suspected armed bandits have killed a traditional ruler, Oba Kehinde Falodun, the Alagamo of Agamo community, during a violent assault on his palace in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State.

The attackers, reportedly about 10 in number, were said to have stormed the monarch’s residence on Wednesday evening in what residents described as an attempted abduction of the royal father and members of his household.

According to the Olori (Queen), who narrowly escaped, the gunmen initially attempted to whisk the monarch away but encountered resistance before the situation escalated.

“The bandits just came and started shooting. They were about 10. Three stayed at the entrance while others came inside. I ran into the bush. They shot at me, but it did not affect me,” she said.

She added that when the kidnappers failed to subdue the monarch, they resorted to violence.

“They kept dragging my husband, and I kept shouting for help. Later, they hit something on his head and stomach. He has been killed,” she said.

Confirming the incident on Thursday, spokesman for the Nigeria Police Force in Ondo State, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, said the command received distress information around 7:50 pm from a community leader.

He said about six armed men invaded the palace, forcefully took the monarch from his compound, and fled.

“The victim was later found a few metres away with gunshot wounds. He was confirmed dead at the scene,” Jimoh stated.

He disclosed that the Divisional Police Officer, alongside tactical teams, immediately mobilised officers and local security groups, including Amotekun Corps, hunters, and Atuluse vigilantes, to comb nearby bushes in search of the attackers.

According to him, surveillance has been intensified across the area while efforts continue to track and apprehend the suspects.

“The Command assures residents that no stone will be left unturned in bringing those responsible to justice,” he added.

Meanwhile, elders and traditional chiefs in Agamo have condemned the killing, describing the late monarch as a peace-loving leader who played a major role in resolving disputes and promoting development in the community.

A community leader, who asked not to be named, said the attack has created fear and a leadership vacuum.

“This is a painful loss to us. Kabiyesi was very close to the people. We appeal to government and security agencies to act fast and ensure those behind this are arrested,” he said.

The incident adds to growing security concerns in the state, where kidnappings, attacks on farmers, and assaults on rural communities have increased in recent months.

Continue Reading

Trending