Connect with us

News

Kaduna LG polls: APC Leads, Wins 15 of 19 LGs

Published

on

The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has won 15 out of the 19 local government councils results so far released in the Saturday local government elections announced at the various local government headquarters in Kaduna State.
There are 23 local government areas in the state, but election did not hold in Kaura and Jaba local government areas, as the polls in the two councils were postponed till later date.
According to the results announced by the returning officers, APC won in Kaduna North, Kaduna South, Kubau, Sabon Gari, Soba, Zaria, Lere, Ikara, Makarfi, Birnin Gwari, Giwa, Kagarko, Kudan, Igabi and Kajuru local government areas, while the leading opposition party in the state, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) won in Zango Kataf with 55,643 while APC polled 31,514.
The opposition party also won in Kachia, Sanga and Kauru local government areas.
Meanwhile, the Chairman of of PDP in the state and one time Minister of State for Aviation, Hon. Felix Hassan Hyet said, his party has been shortchanged, and the party will contest the results in court.
According to the returning officers, in Zaria local government chairmanship election, APC polled 42,859, while PDP scored 16,033; in Soba chairmanship election, APC had 40,903, while PDP polled 13,835; in Makarfi, Returning Officer Dr. Musa Abdullahi Mohammed said APC polled 22,190, while PDP polled 13,088. APC also won in Giwa local government area polling 57, 005 to beat PDP who had 2,636.
APC won in Kudan local government, the council of serving Senator Suleiman Othman Hunkuyi, who is at loggerheads with Governor el-Rufai. The party polled 76,131 to win the chairmanship against PDP who had 3,394.
 
The returning officer Kaduna North local government area, Umar Hayatu while announcing the results of polls, said that APC chairmanship candidate, Alhaji Saleh Shuaibu polled 168,572 votes to win in Kaduna North, beating the PDP candidate, Alhaji Mohammed Sabo Babayaro, who polled 12,467 votes. The Peoples Redemption Party candidate polled 4,956 votes.
Apart from being one of the four councils within Kaduna metropolis, Kaduna North is also the local government of Governor Nasir el-Rufai.
Despite being given a scare in his polling unit in Ungwar Sarki ward, Governor el-Rufai’s APC still won the Unguwar Sarki ward convincingly, polling 14,863, while PDP scored 706.
In the Governor’s polling unit, APC polled 65 votes, while PDP had 50 votes for chairman in his ward, APC polled 68 votes for councillor, while PDP won 45 votes.
APC also won in Makarfi local government, the council of former PDP chairman and Kaduna state governor, Senator Ahmad Mohammed Makarfi.
Results in the five other councils are still being awaited. 
Meanwhile, Kaduna PDP Chairman while addressing newsmen at the party secretariat in Kaduna on Sunday said, the party will soon release its field results of the elections.
He alleged that his party has been shortchanged in the results announced so far in the 13 local government areas of the state. He said their party agents have submitted reports and they will follow legal means to address the injustices he claimed meted on them.
Hyet, further claimed that most of the results announced so far were through radio stations rather than the returning officers whom he alleged disappeared.
The PDP state chairman, while calling on supporters to remain calm,said the manufacturers of the electronic voting machines supposed to have stayed in Kaduna to monitor the machines to avoid malfunction in some polling units.
Hyet, however, alleged that some electronic voting machines were snatched to unknown destinations: “We call on you to brief you on the update of the local election results of 13  local government so far released . Some local government results was not announced by the returning officers but radio stations. At the moment we have some local government areas like, Kaduna South, Chikun, Kajuru, Jema, Kagarko, Sanga, still awaiting to be announced as the returning officers are no where to be found. The returning officers have disappeared completely. Even,some  wards returning officers also disappeared” the PDP alleged.
“We are waiting for the returning officers to come out and announce the results in local government areas yet to be announced.Our agents have submitted the results to us and we will take necessary legal steps to address the injustices.The manufactured of the machines would have been on ground to monitor the machines. Humans are that ones operating the machines”
We will soon make our reports collected from our field agents publicly. We believe as a party,we will take over power in 2019 because Nigerians have said good bye to APC” Hyet said.
The Nation

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Edo Guber: Tribunal Dismisses Ighodalo’s Petition, Affirms Okpebholo As Duly Elected

Published

on

By

The Edo Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal sitting in Abuja, on Wednesday, affirmed Senator Monday Okpebholo as the governor.

A three-member panel headed by Justice Wilfred Kpochi, dismissed the petition filed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo, against the outcome of the September 21, 2024, governorship election.

In its judgment, the panel ruled that the petitioners failed to call competent witnesses to prove the allegations of non-compliance with the Electoral Act.

‎‎In the lead judgment read by Justice Wilfred Kpochi, the Tribunal said non-compliance must be proven convincingly. It noted that the failure of the petitioners to call polling unit officers, presiding officers or even voters during the election proved fatal to their petition.

The Tribunal stated that most of the 19 witnesses called by the PDP merely gave hearsay evidence during the proceedings.

‎‎Justice Kpochi faulted what he termed as the PDP’s reliance on Section 137 of the Electoral Act to dump documents on the Tribunal. The Tribunal noted that it’s not for it to scrutinise documents tendered by the petitioners.

‎‎The Edo Tribunal further said the BVAS machines tendered by the petitioners remain dormant, as it’s not the duty of the Tribunal to access the data in the machines.

‎‎In the unanimous decision, the Tribunal thereby restated that to prove overvoting as alleged by Ighodalo and the PDP, there’s a need to tender the voters register, BVAS machines and polling unit results or Forms EC8A.

Following that, the Tribunal dismissed the petition of Asue Ighodalo, candidate of PDP for lacking merit.

‎‎INEC had declared that Okpebholo of the APC secured 291,667 votes to defeat Ighodalo who got 247,655 votes. PDP approached the Tribunal to challenge the results from 765 polling units of the 4,519 units in Edo State.

‎The PDP candidate faulted the outcome of the election on the grounds of non-compliance with the Electoral Act and the failure of Monday Okphebholo to secure a majority of the lawful votes cast. Putting that in context, the PDP governorship candidate alleged improper computation of votes by INEC, non-serialisation of electoral materials and over-voting.

Continue Reading

News

Sen Natasha Defies Ban, Holds Rally in Kogi, Receives Rousing Welcome

Published

on

By

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, on Tuesday, received a rousing welcome from her supporters and residents of the Ihima community of Kogi State, despite the government’s ban on rallies and processions.

As early as 8am, her supporters from the five local government areas of Kogi Central Senatorial District that Akpoti-Uduaghan represents flooded the Ihima community of Okehi Local Government Area (LGA) to welcome the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) lawmaker.

Several local musicians took turns entertaining the people who attended the celebration while they awaited the arrival of the female lawmaker.

It did not, however, take long before the embattled senator arrived at the place in a white helicopter, eliciting applause from her teeming, jubilant supporters.

“Yesterday, we heard on the news that rallies and gatherings will not be allowed, that roads will be blocked, and convoys leading into the state will not be allowed. I knew that we were the targets. But then I said, this is not political season, this is not campaign time,” the lawmaker told her supporters and constituents.

“We are not having a rally. This is just me, the Senator representing Kogi Central, coming down to her people to celebrate this festive time –  the Sallah with you, and there is nothing wrong with that. I am breaking no law. This is Nigeria. We have the right to be free, to express our choice in gatherings and celebrations.”

Her return comes hours after the Kogi State Government banned public gatherings and processions, citing security threats.

This was followed by the imposition of a curfew in the area by the Okehi Local Government Area chairman, Amoka Monday, and a warning from the police for her to cancel the event.

Despite the warnings, the lawmaker told the crowd of supporters that no one can stop her from coming home.

“Nobody and nothing can stop me from coming home. I’m an Ebira woman; this is my land. I’m the daughter of the late Jimoh Abdul Akpoti. I know my roots; I’m not a bastard, and I’m not afraid of anybody,” the PDP senator said.

Continue Reading

News

Edo Guber Tribunal Delivers Judgment Today

Published

on

By

The Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal, sitting in Abuja, has
scheduled Wednesday, April 2, 2025, to deliver its judgment on the petition filed by Asue Ighodalo of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) challenging the victory of Governor Monday Okpebholo in the September 21, 2024, gubernatorial election.

A three-member panel, led by Justice Wilfred Kpochi, reserved judgment on March 3 after parties in the suit concluded their final arguments.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had on September 22 declared Okpebholo of the All Progressives Congress (APC) winner of the election with 291,667 votes, defeating Ighodalo, who polled 247,274 votes, and Labour Party’s Olumide Akpata, who garnered 22,763 votes.

Dissatisfied with the outcome, the PDP and its candidate approached the tribunal, alleging widespread irregularities, including
over-voting, ballot serialisation issues, errors in collation, and miscalculations in results.

In the suit marked EPT/ED/GOV/02/2024,
Ighodalo presented a senior technical officer from INEC’s ICT department as a witness, who tendered 154 BVAS machines as evidence to substantiate claims of
over-voting.

Adopting his final address, Ighodalo further alleged that results from 765 polling units were manipulated at the collation centers and that errors in computation affected the final outcome.

He urged the tribunal to nullify the Certificate of Return issued to Okpebholo and declare him the rightful winner of the election.

Continue Reading

Trending

Close