Panic as Lagos Transport Union Members Clash over Park Control

There was palpable fear at Ojota Motor Park, Lagos State, on Friday following a clash between two factional members of a transport union in the area.

Armed policemen and Armoured Personnel Carrier were stationed around the park as commuters scurried from the scene for fear that the violence might break out again.

City Round learnt that trouble started on Thursday evening when a suspended factional chairman of the union allegedly stormed the park with hoodlums to reclaim the facility.

It was gathered that members loyal to the leadership of the park resisted the attack, which led to a clash.

They were said to have fought one another with machetes and bottles, among other weapons.

“The clash started Thursday evening at about 6.30pm, many vehicles were leaving the park hurriedly and gunshots were fired into the air and everyone scampered for safety.

“That resulted in the deployment of police personnel from different divisions under Area H, including anti-riot police officers by the Area Commander, ACP Miller Dantawaye,” a source told News Agency of Nigeria.

About nine patrol vehicles and one Armoured Personnel Carrier were stationed at Ogudu junction, near the park.

The leadership of the park had reportedly been invited for a peace meeting with the Lagos chapter of the union.

The Area Commander, Area H, Ogudu, ACP Miller Dantawaye, told NAN that the park was partially closed until normalcy returned fully to the area, adding that no death was recorded.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, CSP Chike Oti, said the suspended chairman, identified as Azeez, was being interrogated by the police.

He said, “A preliminary investigation conducted into the incident revealed that the fight was engineered by one Azeez aka Stainless. He was a suspended chairman of the motor park. He has been suspended for about one year now.

“He wanted to force a comeback, taking advantage of the fact that some of the executives of the park were not around. Members on the ground resisted him and there was a fight. The police received a distress call and Divisional Police Officer, Ogudu division, led his team and brought the situation under control. They also apprehended Stainless for investigation.”

The Punch

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this: