Connect with us

News

Drunk Soldier Crushes General to Death in Lagos Barracks

Published

on

The Director of Finance at the Nigerian Armed Forces Resettlement Centre, Brigadier-General Audu James, has died after he was knocked down by a car.

The car was driven by a corporal, Abayomi Ebun, inside the NAFRC Old Barracks in Lagos.

Ebun was said to be drunk at the time of the incident and had since been detained by the NAFRC provost for further investigation.

A photo of the vehicle showed a huge dent on the bonnet while the right side of the windscreen was cracked.

James was rushed to the NAFRC Medical Centre where he was confirmed dead.

The Welfare Officer, SEC 40, Kayode Olagunju, in a facebook post on Wednesday, described the news of James’ death as a sad development.

The post read, “Sad news. We lost a gem. Our indefatigable, humble, friendly bridge builder, the Monitor General SEC 40 of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, Brig Gen Audu Ogbole James (mni) just departed.

“He died from injuries sustained from a knockdown on the road yesterday (15/11/22) evening in Lagos. May his soul rest in peace. Our condolences to the family, especially the SEC 40. May the Lord console all and grant the fortitude to bear this irreplaceable loss. So sad.”

The spokesperson, 81 Division Nigerian Army, Major Olaniyi Osoba, said he heard about the incident but lacked the authority to speak on it.

The spokesman for the Nigerian Army, Onyema Nwachukwu, could not be reached for comment and had yet to respond to a text message sent to his phone number regarding the matter as of the time of filing this report.

However, a signal has confirmed that Ebun, who had been placed in custody for investigation, was drunk during the accident that claimed James’ life.

The signal read, “On November 22, one 04NA/98/397 CPL Abayomi Ebun of Nigerian Army Resource Centre ABJ on pass and residing at Block P, old Barracks, NAFRC, while driving out of the centre, knocked down  the director of finance  NAFRC, BRIG GEN James, who was walking to his house within the centre.

“The deceased senior officer was immediately evacuated to NAFRC medical centre where he was confirmed dead. The Commandant, DY COMDT DIRS and other senior officers were at the medical centre to confirm the incident.

“The driver was alleged to be drunk and was driving recklessly within the centre. Driver is presently detained at the   NAFRC Provost for further investigations.”

Until his death, James was a fellow of the Association of National Accountants of Nigeria and held memberships of the Nigerian Institute of Management, Nigerian Institute of Directors, Chartered Institute of Taxation, and the National Institute.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

HoS Suspends Perm Sec over Sexual Harassment Allegation, Orders Probe

Published

on

By

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Ibrahim Lamuwa, has been suspended by the Office of the Head of Service over sexual harassment allegation.

The Head of Service, Folashade Yemi-Esan, said the permanent secretary would be on suspension pending the outcome of a probe into the allegation against him.

“The permanent secretary has been suspended pending the outcome of the probe by the committee set up, “ a senior director in the OHCSF told our correspondent in Abuja.

It was learnt that following a petition submitted by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar, against Lamuwa, the HoS constituted a committee to look into the matter.

The complainant in the petition submitted by Tuggar was one Simisola Ajayi, who accused Lamuwa of serial sexual harassment.

Ajayi, in the petition filed by her lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN), outlined alleged instances of harassment.

In a letter addressed to the Head of Service on May 27, 2024, Tuggar expressed his concern over the serious nature of the allegations involving the permanent secretary.

“I am compelled to write to inform you of a formal complaint against the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Ibrahim Adamu Lamuwa, on allegations of sexual harassment.

“Bearing in mind the gravity of the matter, I feel it necessary to draw your attention to it and ask that you handle it accordingly,” the minister stated in the letter.

An official familiar with the case told our correspondent on Wednesday that following the receipt of Tuggar’s letter on the allegation against Lamuwa, the HoS had set up a probe panel.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the matter, said, “Yes, the Head of Service has set up a committee to probe the whole matter. There are pieces of evidence, which will be tabled and witnesses who will also be invited to speak on the matter,  so it is not a matter that will be swept under the carpet.

“The minister (Tuggar) is also very much interested in the outcome. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is a special ministry that operates even outside the shores of the country, so you can’t expect that an issue of such gravity will be swept under the carpet.”

Ajayi had, in a petition dated May 29, 2024 and addressed to Tuggar, accused the permanent secretary of serial sexual harassment.

The petition, signed by Adebayo A. Oniyelu LP of Falana & Falana’s, was titled “Request For An Investigation Of Amb. Ibrahim Lamuwa’s Conducts Of Sexual Harassment At The Place Of Work, Abuse Of Office, Official Intimidation And Discrimination.”

According to the petition, Ajayi narrated multiple instances of harassment allegedly by Lamuwa, which had created an unsafe and uncomfortable working environment.

She claimed for instance that during a policy retreat on October 7, 2023, Lamuwa allegedly made inappropriate advances towards her, suggesting she joined him in his hotel room.

He reportedly continued with inappropriate remarks throughout the retreat.

She also cited an incident on November 10, 2023, where Lamuwa allegedly invited Ajayi to travel to Hong Kong, promising significant personal benefits from the trip.

The Punch

Continue Reading

News

DSS Warns Against Protests to Undermine Public Safety, National Security

Published

on

By

The Department of Security Services (DSS) has issued an alert, warning the public about a planned physical protests across the country.

A statement signed by the Service’s Director, PR & Strategic Communications, Mr. Peter Afunanya, also noted that though citizens have a right to protest, it should not be to undermine public safety and national security.

Read the statement in full:

The attention of the Department of State Services (DSS) has been drawn to plans by certain individuals and groups to stage physical protests in some parts of the country on 12th June, 2024. The protests are designed with sinister objectives to coincide with the Democracy Day Celebration. While citizens may have the rights of assembly and expression, such freedoms should not be used to undermine public safety and national security.

The determination by some non-state actors to incite mass disaffection through demonstrations that may turn violent will not be tolerated. However, it is instructive to note that violent demonstrations are at variance with the peaceful disposition of the Federal Government to amicably address all contentions including the minimum wage. Citizens are, therefore, called upon to resist any persuasions to be lawless or cause disorder and anarchy in the nation. Displeased persons are rather encouraged to appropriately channel their grievances through the right channels and procedures.

Consequently, the DSS reaffirms its unequivocal position to protect the country from inimical acts being orchestrated by disgruntled groups to cause a breakdown of law and order. It will also sustain collaboration with all relevant stakeholders, including sister security agencies, to maintain the peace as well as protect lives and property across the nation. Law abiding citizens are enjoined to go about their businesses without fear.

The Service, while felicitating the government and citizens on this auspicious occasion of celebrating 25 years of unbroken democracy, calls for continued patriotism, unity and commitment in building a Nigeria of our collective dream. Meanwhile, the DSS website, dss.gov.ng; email address- dsspr@dss.gov.ng and Telephone lines +2349153391309;+2349088373514 remain open to the public in the event that there is need to contact it.

Continue Reading

News

Osun Primary Healthcare: Committee Completes First Phase, Hails Gov Adeleke

Published

on

By

The Osun Primary Healthcare Renovation Committee on Monday rounded off the first phase of its constant facilities inspection and project monitoring to different primary healthcare centres in the state in the ongoing rehabilitation and upgrades of 345 primary healthcare centres in the state under the administration of Governor Ademola Adeleke.

The project monitoring team, according to a statement by the Governor’s aide, Oluniyi Isamotu, were at Atile Primary Healthcare Centre and Odeyinka Model Primary Healthcare centre (Irewole LG), and equally Edun-Abon Primary Healthcare centre (Ife North).

The project coordinator and Special Adviser on Public Health to the Governor, Dr Akindele Adekunle appreciate the efforts of the project committee for trying their best in fulfilling the mandates and desire of the Governor on the upgrade of the facilities and also admonishing the health workers to imbibe maintenance culture in order to sustain the success achieved on the upgraded facilities.

He further charged the project engineers on site not to relent on the level of progress recorded so far on the project as another phase of the project takes effect immediately.

Onbehalf of the project committee, Dr Akindele Adekunle assured they will continue their relentless effort in ensuring they deliver on the mandate of the Governor Ademola Adeleke led administration in the state in providing quality basic healthcare service for the people of Osun State.

The Chairman Primary Healthcare Board, Alhaji Tajudeen Adisa and the Special Adviser on Primary Health, Dr Michael Oyerinde were among government officials in the inspection team while Egnr Kunle Adeboyejo (Ministry of Works and Infrastructure) and Dr Akintayo (Deputy Director, Medical Services OSPHB) were part of other career and technical officers of the project committee that joined the project committee on facilities inspection today.

Some of the facilities rehabilitated and upgraded so far includes, Owode-Ede PHC (EDE-SOUTH), OJA-TIMI(EDE-SOUTH), LOOGUN-EGBEDA PHC(EDE-NORTH), SEKONA PHC(EDE-NORTH), IPERINDO PHC (ATAKUMOSA), IWARA PHC(ATAKUMOSA), OKE-ELU PHC, GBONGAN (AYEDAADE LGA), TOTAL PHC (ISOKAN LG), TELEMU PHC (OLA-OLUWA), OGBAAGBA PHC (OLA-OLUWA), ORA PHC IFEDAYO LGA), ERIPA PHC (BOLUWADURO LGA), OLONDE PHC (IFELODUN LGA), ANWO PHC (IREPODUN LGA), OLUFON PHC (OROLU LGA), ISALE-AGBARA PHC (OSOGBO), ATIBA PHC (OSOGBO), BIIRO PHC (OLORUNDA LGA), AKEDE-IYALOJA PHC (OSOGBO LGA) IKOYI PHC (ISOKAN LGA).

Others are; ATILE PHC (IREWOLE), ODEYINKA MPHC (IREWOLE), FEESU PHC (IWO LG), OGBURO MPHC (IWO LG), POPO PHC (EJIGBO LGA), ISALE-OBA, KUTA (AIYEDIRE LGA), IWOYE PHC (EGBEDORE LGA), IKOTUN PHC (EGBEDORE LGA), EYINGBO PHC (IREPODUN LGA), IBA PHC (IFELODUN LGA), ASHI/ASABA PHC (ODO-OTIN LG), OKUKU PHC (ODO-OTIN LG), ADEKUNLE PHC (ILA LGA), ALAGBEDE PHC (IFEDAYO LGA), ORORUWO PHC (BORIPE LGA), ADEOWO PHC, MODAKEKE (IFE EAST), YEKEMI PHC (IFE EAST), OKE-OJA PHC, OSU (ATAKUMOSA WEST), ESA-OKE PHC (OBOKUN LG), IBOKUN PHC (OBOKUN LG), IPETU-IJESHA PHC (ORIADE LGA), OBALENDE PHC (ORIADE LGA), IMO PHC (ILESA EAST), IJAMO PHC (ILESA EAST), OKE-IYIN PHC (ILESA WEST), EREJA PHC (ILESA WEST), EDUNABON PHC (IFE NORTH), ONIGBODOGI PHC (IFE-SOUTH LG), ENUWA PHC (IFE CENTRAL LG), ABAGBOORO PHC (IFE CENTRAL) while several others are still ongoing.

Continue Reading

Trending