The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, has condemned the killing on Tuesday, of former Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh, saying the incident was “totally unacceptable”.

He stated this at the Fourth Quarter Chief of Air Staff Conference on Wednesday in Abuja.

Badeh died from gunshot injuries sustained when his vehicle was attacked while returning from his farm along Abuja-Keffi road.

Abubakar said the Nigeria Air Force was still in a state of shock over the death of its former chief.

“We are no doubt in a state of shock at what happened yesterday when the former CDS was killed along Keffi-Abuja road.

“The entire Air Force family is shocked about the incident and we are expressing our condolence to the wife and children of Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh.

“We are very appreciative of the sentiments expressed by Nigerians after the incident. It shows they love and support the Service.

“For this kind of thing to happen, it is something that is totally unacceptable,” he said.

He explained that the NAF was working to find those behind the heinous crime, and said, “by the special grace of God, we will get them and they will face justice.”

The air chief said that it was an internal reminder to Nigerians that the military had shouldered the responsibility of protecting lives and property of all Nigerians.

“Though we are working hard, we should redouble our efforts; we need to work round the clock, we need to put in more effort.

“We need to collaborate more closely to ensure that these criminals are not allowed to endanger the lives of our people.

“On our part, as a service, I am sure you are aware of the efforts we are making to build the capacity of the special force and regiment personnel so as to add value to what we are doing in all parts of the country,” he said.

 

“It is not entirely a military affair; those guys that shot Badeh came from an environment; so, we all have to put hands together to make sure that our national security is not undermined by individuals,” Abubakar said.

He pointed out that the military had been working to ensure that every Nigerian was able to pursue his or her business without fear or intimidation.

The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that late retired Badeh was standing trial at the Federal High Court, Abuja, for allegedly abusing his office by diverting N3.97 billion public funds.

He was billed to open his defence in the fraud charge brought against him by the Federal Government on January 16, 2019.

The late four-star flag officer of the Nigerian Air Force was the 18th Chief of Air Staff, from October 4, 2012 to January 16, 2014, and the 15th Chief of Defence Staff, from January 16, 2014 to July 13, 2015.

(NAN)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here