Connect with us

Headline

Senators Divided Over Polls Reordering

Published

on

The power tussle between Senators, loyal to President Muhammadu Buhari, and those who are pushing for the reordering of elections heightened on Saturday with the President’s supporters promising to publish signatures of their members.

SUNDAY PUNCH gathered that at a meeting in Abuja last week, the pro-Buhari lawmakers decided to ensure that an open ballot voting system be used if the National Assembly eventually opts to override Buhari’s refusal to assent the amendments to the Electoral Act 2010.

The PUNCH had, on Thursday, exclusively reported that the pro-Buhari senators had collated more than 40 signatures of those who would vote against the reported move of the federal lawmakers to override the President’s refusal to assent the bill.

Buhari had withheld his assent to the bill, which principally reordered the sequence of elections ahead of the 2019 polls.

The President had written to both chambers of the National Assembly on his decision to withhold assent to the amendment bill. In the letter, dated March 8, 2018, Buhari had said the amendments made by the lawmakers were in conflict with the existing laws.

The Senate has, however, been advised by its legal department to ignore the reasons given by President and proceed with the process to veto the bill.

A new Section 25 of the Electoral Act states that the sequence of the elections will commence with National Assembly, to be followed by governorship and state Houses of Assembly, while presidential poll will come last.

It was gathered that the pro-Buhari senators had concluded plans to publish the signatures of those against the amendments.

The publication, which might be sponsored in the media, would be aimed at ejecting suspected moles allegedly planted in the pro-Buhari camp by some senators allegedly pushing for the amendments to sail through.

A source in the anti-amendment group told one of our correspondents on Saturday that since the legal department had asked the Senate to ignore the constitutional issues raised by Buhari on the bill, the President’s loyalists were also planning to protect his interest.

The lawmaker added, “The only way they can ignore what the President said is to get the two-thirds of members to veto him, but I don’t think they can get the needed number (73).

“We have gathered over 40 signatures and  we will inform every signatory that we are going public and if they are ready to go along. We want to go public so that nobody will say they did not sign against the amendment.

“There are those who are here and there. We will inform every signatory of our decision to go public, so that whoever wants to withdraw his signatures now can do so.”

Although 10 APC senators had an openly protested against the passage of the amendment, the Majority Leader, Senator Ahmad Lawan, who was not among the 10, had, at the plenary on Thursday, announced that he voted against it.

Speaking on the choice of open ballot voting system, the senator, who confided in SUNDAY PUNCH, disclosed that the pro-amendment lawmakers, which included  members of the Peoples Democratic Party, preferred secret ballot to create a shield for pro-Buhari members, who had been allegedly bought over by the pro-amendment group.

He said, “By the time you have agreed that your name should be published, nothing is hidden again. It is open already. When the signatures have already been published, there is no essence for secret ballot anymore. It will be opened to the public and the Senate. It is even going beyond calling for a division in the chamber.”

The source also disclosed that meetings had been ongoing on the move to support Buhari between a minister and three governors on the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress and a national leader of the party.

“The meetings have been holding almost every day. The governors supporting our group are meeting today or tomorrow. We are meeting on Wednesday. We met on Thursday with their representatives,” he stated.

The Punch

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headline

You’ve Nothing to Offer Nigerians, Only Insults, Akwa Ibom Gov Slams Tinubu

Published

on

By

Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Udom Emmanuel, on Monday, replied the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu, saying that he (Tinubu) always resorts to abusing and insulting people during campaigns because he has nothing to bring to the table for Nigerians.

He also said that despite being insulted by the former Lagos State Governor, he would prefer to allow peace to reign by ignoring him and focusing on helping install good governance to rescue Nigerians from their present woes.

Emmanuel spoke on Monday evening at Government House, Uyo while inaugurating newly appointed Permanent Secretaries, Chairmen and Members of Boards and Commissions, as well as a Transition Committee to ensure the smooth transition of power to the next administration.

Recall that Tinubu had during his rally in Uyo Monday afternoon, reportedly said, “Akwa Ibom, that boy wey bring Atiku here, wey de call himself Governor, tell him enough is enough! He lives in my backyard in Lagos, If no be say we be one, I would have driven him home. You see that mansion he is living, I would just use lizards, pigeons and scorpions to put him inside.“

But reacting few hours later, the Akwa Ibom State Governor said, “for the country to remain in peace, one party must ‘play saint’ and that is why he would refrain from replying Tinubu.

Emmanuel who is the Chairman of the PDP presidential campaigns said, “I also go to other states, and if you watch our campaigns, my principal (Atiku Abubakar) has never spoken about any Governor, he has never spoken openly about Asiwaju before.”

He added that it was unfortunate that Tinubu, who was granted state-owned facilities such as the airport, security, stadium, and a good atmosphere to come in and sell his manifesto, ended up coming to insult the integrity of over 7.9 million Akwa Ibom people.

The Governor wondered if it is possible for any Akwa Ibomite to go to Lagos that Tinubu stays or the actual state that he hails from, to insult Tinubu in like manner and still be allowed to safely return home, “but here our people at the stadium including some state governors just laughed and applauded him.”

“What makes him think he will govern Nigeria? If I reply him now, people will call me and say, haba oga you are not like that. But I will reply him one day. There is nothing like ‘emilokan’ (it is my turn) here, Nigeria is in God’s hands.”

He maintained further that despite being the highest revenue contributor to the federation account, Akwa Ibom State has not gotten a single kilometre of road from the APC-led Federal Government for nearly 8 years adding that the poor response from the Federal Government also caused the delayed commencement of the seaport in the state.

Meanwhile, the governor thanked the newly appointed Permanent Secretaries for accepting the onerous task of service, and urged them to see themselves as ambassadors and work towards raising the bar of leadership which would encourage productivity and promote good working relationship with subordinates in the service.

“This is one thing I promised Akwa Ibom people that appointment of Permanent Secretaries shall be totally on merit and not by mercy, let those that can do the work be given the opportunity. Permanent Secretary is not a promotion, it is an appointment on merit.

Governor Emmanuel also reiterated his commitments towards enhancing efficiency within Civil Service, noting that during his administration civil servants have been promoted on yearly basis.

He assured that before he exits office more Permanent Secretaries would be appointed into the service to fill vacant positions left by the ones who retired.

Addressing Chairmen of Boards and Commissions, Governor Emmanuel who described them as pillars in government, acknowledged their commitment particularly, Chairman, Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection & Waste Management Agency, Prince Akpan Ikim, for winning laurels for the state through his outstanding performance in keeping and making the state the cleanest in Nigeria for five consecutive years from 2018 through 2022, and tasked others to create an impact that will stand them out.

In the same vein, the Transition Committee members were handed the task of ensuring a seamless transition of government to an incoming administration, and also verify all projects executed by the present administration.

The newly appointed Permanent Secretaries are; Mfon Inuaesiet Edemekong Esq., Dr. Stephen Effiong, Atim Chelly Okoko, Iquo Okon Abia Esq., Uwem Sunday Andrew-Essien, Isaiah Robson Ntekim and Emaeyak Nyong Akpan as Auditor-General for Local Government.

The Transition Committee has Mrs. Ekereobong Umoh -Chairman, Uko Udom SAN, Prof Augustine Umoh, Dr. Ini Adiakpan, Mrs. Nsemeke Daniel, Dr. Nathaniel Adiakpan, Mr Elijah Udoiyak, Mrs. Esther Inyang, Pastor Uwem Andrew-Essien, Mr. Isaiah Ntekim, Mr. Effiong Ekpenyong and Mrs. Bella Akpanya as members.

The Punch

Continue Reading

Headline

PDP Condemns Attack on Buhari in Kano, Blames Tinubu, Ganduje

Published

on

By

The Peoples Democratic Party Presidential Campaign Council, has blamed the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, and the governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje, for the attacks on the convoy of President Muhammadu Buhari, during a visit to the state on Monday.

The spokesperson of the campaign council, Dino Melaye, who shared one of the videos from the reported attack, wrote, “The fight between Tinubu and Buhari is entering a new dimension. The attack in Kano was properly coordinated and funded allegedly by Asiwaju.

“The meeting to push Buhari to submission or face sponsored attack in the north was said to be hatched in Bourdillon. Me, I am busy with Atiku.”

A political activist, Deji Adeyanju, who shared another video of the reported attack, said, “They are showing Buhari and APC Shege in Kano and many northern states.”

Similarly, the PDP in a statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, on Monday also blamed Tinubu and the Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje, for the attack.

According to the party, the attack was designed to undermine the Presidency, cause confusion, trigger violence in the country, disrupt the conduct of the 2023 general elections “and derail our democracy having realised that he cannot win in a peaceful, free and fair electoral process.”

The statement read in part, “The PDP invites Nigerians to note how Governor Abdullahi Ganduje attempted to abridge President Buhari’s movement and even tried to stop him from visiting Kano State.

“More disquieting is the fact that the APC Presidential Campaign sought to humiliate and harm President Buhari while performing his official duties in Kano.

“It should be noted that the APC presidential candidate has been displaying open aversion and making inciting statements against President Buhari since Mr President’s declaration, in line with democratic best practice all over the world that Nigerians should freely vote for any candidate and party of their choice in the 2023 general elections.

“The apparent frustration of Asiwaju Tinubu to resort to encourage or condone violence is fueled by his entitlement mentality, that it is his turn to be President, despite his numerous ineligibility and disability baggage.”

Ologunagba reminded Nigerians about Tinubu’s infamous statement in London where he declared to his supporters that “political power is not going to be served in a restaurant, it is not served a la carte.”

Continue Reading

Headline

Organ Harvesting: Ekweremadu Battles for Freedom, Appears in Court Tuesday

Published

on

By

A former Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, will on Tuesday appear again in court in the United Kingdom where he has been accused of human trafficking.

The lawmaker was in June 2022 arrested at Heathrow Airport in London after Staines Police Station received a report from a young man claiming to have been trafficked into the UK.

The young man, who made the report shortly after arriving in the UK from Nigeria, also alleged that he was made to undergo some medical tests, none of which he consented to.

Ekweremadu was immediately arraigned before a Magistrate’s Court for bringing a child into the UK to harvest his organs.

While the lawmaker had been in custody since June 23, his wife, Beatrice, who was arrested with him, was granted bail by a criminal court in London shortly after their arrest.

Monday (today) makes it 221 days since Ekweremadu was placed in the custody of UK authorities.

The case against the lawmaker which had been slated for May was later scheduled for January 31.

The 60-year-old, who denied the allegations against him, will again appear before High Court Judge, Mr Justice Johnson.

His daughter, Sonia, had on November 7, 2022, appeared in court to defend the accusation of trafficking a homeless man into the UK to harvest his organs for herself.

According to Daily Mail, the 25-year-old, who is battling a kidney-related illness, pleaded not guilty to the charge level against her when she appeared again in court on January 13.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: