By Eric Elezuo
Media aide to Peter Obi, presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Valentine Obienyem, has corrected the badly doctored conversation Obi had with Bishop David Oyedepo, saying he has identified the person who allegedly leaked his principal’s conversation the Winners Chapel founder.
In a Facebook post on Sunday, Obienyem said: “I heard they set up a Committee made up of some Communications experts, headed by our prodigal brother from Nnewi. They are reviewing all calls Obi made in the last three years, and especially now to see if he mentioned Interim Government or anything that will make them prosecute him for treason when and if they take over.
“Till now, they are yet to see any. The badly doctored conservation with Bishop Oyedepo released by our Nnewi prodigal brother is the much they have discovered so far. They edited out the Muslim-Muslim ticket that led to the discussion, where Obi said that in a society like ours, religious balancing was a necessary consideration and that their recklessness had made Christians to assume it was a religious war.”
The audio clip released by online newspaper, Peoples Gazzete, the same media outfit that exposed the Chief Justice of Nigeria Kayode Ariwoola’s clandestine visit, disguised like a cripple, to the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who is now declared president-elect by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has generated a lot of backlogs.
In the audio, Obi was heard pleading with Oyedepo to help mobilise Christian voters ahead of the election, especially those in the North Central states of Kwara, Kogi and Niger, adding that the election was a religious war.
The former governor of Anambra State was repeatedly heard saying, ‘Yes Daddy”, while the conversation lasted.
“Daddy, I need you to speak to your people in the South-West and Kwara, the Christians in the South-West and Kwara. This is a religious war. Like I keep saying: if this works, you people will never regret the support,” the audio quoted him as saying.
Peter Obi has challenged the declaration of Tinubu as president-elect by INEC, and the matter is presently in court. Ever since, political intrigues have cropped up towards frustrating efforts of all camps, including a Department of State Service (DSS) statement alleging that some people are plotting to install an interim government.
The DSS statement has however, been dismissed in many quarters, including the Nigerian Governors Forum as lacking details.