Former Minister of Petroleum and Consultant Virologist, Prof Tam David-West, has died at the age of 83.
The Public Relations Officer of the University College Hospital, UCH, Ibadan, Mr. Toye Akinrinlola, confirmed that the former minister died on Monday morning at 11:05 a.m.
President Muhammadu Buhari while expressing “deep sorrow” over the death of David-West, described “the indomitable Tam David-West’ as “friend and ally.”
Here are a few things to know about Tam David-West:
1. David-West was an ex-commissioner for Education in the old Rivers State (1975–1979).
2. He served as a Minister of Petroleum and Energy under the Muhammadu Buhari military regime between 1984 and 1985.
3. He was Minister of Mines, Power and Steel under Gen. Ibrahim Babangida regime.
4. According to Wikipedia, He was eventually removed as a minister and arrested by the Babangida regime for allegedly contributing to the economic adversity of the country. He was discharged and acquitted of these charges by Nigeria’s Special Appeal Court on August 8, 1991.
5. David-West was an academic and author of many books.
6. He was an outspoken and controversial critic of Nigerian government policy since his purge and arrest under the military regime of General Babangida, though he was not affiliated to any political party.