By The Punch
Members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, otherwise known as Shiites, on Friday raised the alarm that the Nigerian Army was plotting to exhume corpses of their late members buried in a mass grave in the wake of its clash with the army in December 15, 2015.
They said since the disclosure of the figure of the dead during that clash at the Justice Muhammad Lawal Garba-led Judicial Commission of Inquiry, the army had been uncomfortable.
However, on Monday before the Commission, the Nigerian Army and the Kaduna State Government differed on the number of people who died in the incident.
The army refused to disclose the number of corpses it handed over to the government while testifying before Justice Mohammed Lawal Garba’s Commission on the Army/Shiites clash on Monday.
The Secretary to the Kaduna State Government, Mallam Balarabe Abbas Lawal, had at the previous sitting of the commission, said not less than 347 unknown corpses from the last December clash were given mass burial in Kaduna few days after the bloody clash.
Also, the Director-General of Interfaith, Muhammad Musa, had concurred by claiming that he led the burial exercise of the unknown corpses and that it started at midnight and lasted till 5:00am.
However, the Nigerian Army had maintained that few corpses and not 347 corpses were handed over to the government for burial.
A statement issued by the Shiites’ Spokesman, Ibrahim Musa, insisted that those behind the killing of their members were planning to secretly exhume their corpses.