North Korea has test-fired a ballistic missile from a submarine but it failed in its initial flight stage, South Korea’s military said.
It said the missile was launched in waters east of the Korean peninsula – the latest in a recent series of tests.
It comes less than three months after a previous attempt to launch a missile from a submarine failed, the BBC reports.
North Korea, believed to be developing nuclear weapons, is banned by the United Nations from any use of ballistic missiles.
“The SLBM (submarine-launched ballistic missile) was ejected from the submarine normally, but is estimated the initial flight was unsuccessful,” the BBC quoted the South Korean military as saying in a statement.
“Our military strongly denounces such provocative acts by North Korea,” it added.
The missile had been launched at about 11:30 local time (02:30 GMT) off North Korea’s port of Sinpo.
The United States and South Korea on Friday agreed to deploy a missile defence system to counter threats from Pyongyang.
It remains unclear exactly where the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system will be sited and who will have final control.