IPOB Videos Fake, Says FG

0

The Federal Government, on Monday, accused members of the IPOB of using fake videos of mass killings, harvested from other parts of Africa and doctored to look current, to mislead the international community and win their support.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, stated this when he addressed Online Publishers in Lagos on Monday.

He alleged that IPOB was planning to externalise the struggle, saying its members had been writing to the governments and national parliaments of some western nations to give the impression that they were being victimised.

Mohammed stated, ‘’We must warn the nation against IPOB’s next line of action, which is to externalise their lies and propaganda. Now they are writing to the governments and the national parliaments of some Western nations to give the impression that they are victims of an ethno-sectarian violence orchestrated by the government, hence they need protection.

‘‘Some of the tools that have been employed by IPOB include blatant lies and cheap propaganda, and the medium of choice for the organisation is the social media.

“IPOB has harvested gory videos and pictures from other lands and the distant past, which they are now circulating via the social media, to deceive the international community into believing that the people of the South-East are being subjected to state-sponsored, ethno-religious violence.

‘‘Such videos, which have very high emotive quotient, are circulating on the social media as we speak. These videos are doctored to make them look current. They are fake.’’

Mohammed said some ill-informed foreign individuals were already trumpeting IPOB’s lies and propaganda and even alleging genocide.

He added, “It is either they do not understand the meaning of genocide or are being mischievous. Either way, there is nothing like genocide anywhere in our country today. What we have in the South-East is a clampdown on a band of lawless people who have no regard for the laws of the land.’’

 

Leave a Reply