‘Boko Haram Attempted to Capture Army Location’

1
A screengrab taken on July 13, 2014 from...A screengrab taken on July 13, 2014 from a video released by the Nigerian Islamist extremist group Boko Haram and obtained by AFP shows the leader of the Nigerian Islamist extremist group Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau (C). The head of Nigeria's Boko Haram Islamists, Abubakar Shekau, has voiced support for the extremist Sunni Islamic State (IS) militant group, which has taken over large swathes of Iraq and Syria, in a new video seen on July 13. AFP PHOTO / BOKO HARAM RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / BOKO HARAM" - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTSHO/AFP/Getty Images

Suspected Boko Haram terrorists, who attacked an army Forward Operating Base in Magumeri town, Borno State, killing three soldiers and injuring six others, attempted to capture the army location.

One of our correspondents learnt that the insurgents, who also damaged some “army platforms” at the base, had attempted to infiltrate the town, which is the headquarters of the Magumeri Local Government Area.

They were reportedly repelled by the troops of 5 Brigade Garrison, 8 Division.

It was gathered that the insurgents struck at about 6pm on Saturday.

One of the civilian joint task force members in Magumeri, who identified himself simply as Abu, said the terrorists burnt some buildings in the town and rent the air with gunshots for several hours.

He said, “The terrorists came in from Bengel area of Magumeri. Their plan was to overrun the army base and capture our town. They attacked in full force shooting gun and blowing up explosive devices in the area. This made many residents to flee into nearby forest.

“The troops engaged the insurgents and successfully repelled the attack. The Boko Haram had to retreat after hours of gun battle. No one knows the casualty figures on their side for now.”

The Deputy Director, Army Public Relations and 8 Division’s Spokesman, Col. Timothy Antigha, confirmed the attack and deaths of the soldiers, saying the injured troops had been taken to the military medical facility.

He said, “The terrorists attempted to attack Magumeri and as a prelude to the attack on the town, the terrorists attempted to dislodge the FOB. Soldiers located in the town repelled the attack. Unfortunately, three soldiers lost their lives, while six sustained injuries. The corpses and the injured have been evacuated. The injured are receiving medical attention.

“Some platforms were also attacked and damaged by the terrorists. Further developments regarding the incident will be communicated accordingly. We wish to assure all residents of Magumeri that everything is being done to ensure their safety and security. To this end, they are to continue pursuing their legitimate activities without any fear.”

The Punch

1 COMMENT

Leave a Reply