The Nigerian Army on Saturday said it regretted issuing out false statement about last week’s ambush attack on a crew of scientists who were carrying out geological survey for the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC.
Last week, a group of geologists from the University of Maiduguri as well as their aides who were subcontracted by NNPC to engage in oil exploration in Lake Chad region were ambushed and abducted by Boko Haram gunmen.
About 24 hours later, the army issued a statement that 9 soldiers lost their lives while all the kidnapped NNPC workers were rescued.
That claim turned out to be false.
Facts revealed that none of the UNIMAID scientists and their aides were rescued. Five of them were brought into Maiduguri dead. Three others later appeared in a video released on Friday by Boko Haram in which they called on the federal government to secure their release.
The military casualty and that of the CJTF was also much higher.
In a fresh statement issued on Saturday, the army spokesman, Sani Usman, a brigadier general, said the earlier misleading statement was regrettable.
He said more corpses comprising five soldiers, 11 Civilian-JTF and five explorations workers were further recovered by military search and rescue team.